Review #22: Glenfarclas 10 Year
Age: 10 Year
Price: $35 (on sale at local grocery store, normally $45)
Color: 0.9, Amontillado Sherry
Nose (according to the wife): Lots of sherry and honey. There’s a bit of nuttiness along with notes of aged wood as well. It prickles the nose a bit.
Palate: Light and sweet. A bit more of a sherry bomb that I would have thought with something this young. There’s lots of honey and vanilla as well along with some notes of raisins. Very pleasant to drink, especially with a little bit of ice and it tempers the sweetness just a tad.
Finish: The finish on this one surprised me. It’s nice and long with the lovely sensation of warmth spreading through your chest, something I really didn’t expect. There’s some more of the sherry with some nuttiness.
Conclusion: This was my second Glenfarclas expression after a Glenfarclas 105. I tried the 105 back before I wrote down any reviews but I remember it being absolutely delicious. Glenfarclas in and of itself isn’t the easiest to find where I live (there are maybe two stores that sell it) so I was really surprised to find this and at such a low price. This is a huge sherry bomb, pretty much a textbook example of one as well. The layers of fruit aren’t particularly well developed but I don’t know if you can expect a whole lot from a 10 year old dram. The finish was wonderful and helped make this a very pleasant one to drink. Needless to say, I turned around and went back to clean the store out of whatever they had of this…
Final Score: 80
Scotch whisky review #22, Speyside whisky review #9, Whisky Network Review #24
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection.
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.