Scotch Whisky Review #143: Compass Box Myths & Legends III (Blend)
Distillery: Blend of 86.9% Glen Elgin, 8.6% Highland Park, and 6.5% Caol Ila
Price: Samples courtesy of /u/TheAgaveFairy
Color: 0.7, Amber. Non-Chill Filtered and No Color Added
This is the twenty-second in my Countdown to Christmas series where I’ll be posting a review a day until Christmas. You can find the entire series here.
Nose: The nose is very similar to the second Myths & Legends. There’s not a ton going on, just a little bit of grass and some lemon.
Palate: This one starts off a little sweet and ends up a little smoky. It starts off with a rather bright note of sweet lemonade. After few moments, it starts to get a bit smoky in that sweet, almost barbecue like way.
Finish: Finish is on the long side. There’s a bit of black tea, a hint of salt, and some oak spice.
Conclusion: This is the third in the Compass Box Myths & Legends series, I’ve previously reviewed the first and second in the series. The majority of this one appears to be the same as what went into the second in the series. The additions from Highland Park and Caol Ila absolutely change this dram around. From being a rather bland, and flavorless one, it’s turned into quite interesting. It starts off a little sweet with some lemonade and ends rather smoky. Overall, it’s a pretty decent dram. Would I buy a bottle? Probably not, but I do enjoy it.
Final Score: 78.
Scotch & Sheen is now on Instagram! Please take a look for quick summaries of my reviews!
Scotch Whisky Review #143, Blended Whisky Review #12, Whisky Network Review #191
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection (if feasible).
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.