Scotch Whisky Review #142: Compass Box Myths & Legends II (Glen Elgin)
Distillery: Glen Elgin
Price: Samples courtesy of /u/TheAgaveFairy
Cask Type: 81.4% Recharred American Oak Casks, 8% Recharred American Oak Hogshead, 8% Refill American Oak Hogshead, 2.6% Refill Sherry Butt
Color: 0.9, Amontillado Sherry. Non-Chill Filtered and No Color Added
This is the twenty-first in my Countdown to Christmas series where I’ll be posting a review a day until Christmas. You can find the entire series here.
Nose: There’s not a whole lot going on here. A little bit of lemon and a little bit of grass pop up but it’s barely noticeable.
Palate: It’s on the sweeter side of things. The main note here is caramel which is accompanied by a bit of fruit. It comes in the form of a really silky, almost melon-like fruit that I can’t quite pin down. Perhaps it’s papaya?
Finish: Medium in length. There’s a little more of that papaya and a bit of a oak pepper.
Conclusion: This is the second in the Compass Box Myths & Legends series, you can find the first one here. While this is really easy to drink, there really isn’t a whole lot going on here. Everything is rather muted, other than the caramel in the palate, and nothing quite pops out. It’s very well made though as it is easy to drink. Would I buy a bottle? No.
Final Score: 72.
Scotch & Sheen is now on Instagram! Please take a look for quick summaries of my reviews!
Scotch Whisky Review #142, Speyside Review #59, Whisky Network Review #190
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection (if feasible).
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.
One thought on “Compass Box Myths & Legends II (Glen Elgin)”