American Whiskey Review #15: Remus Repeal Reserve 2018
Age: NAS, About 10 years old, Blend of 2 bourbons from 2007 and 2 from 2008
Blend Makeup: 15% of a 2007 Bourbon with 21% Rye Mashbill, 50% of a 2008 Bourbon with a 21% Rye Mashbill, 10% of a 2007 Bourbon with a 36% Rye Mashbill, and 25% of a 2008 Bourbon with a 36% Rye Mashbill
Price: Pour courtesy of /u/RoseFromEmbers
. Natural Color and Non-Chill Filtered
Nose: You get that distinct smell of that comes from a high rye bourbon, a little bit of rye spices a bit muddled in with corn. Some cola and fresh spring water are also present.
Palate: Average mouthfeel. Lots of warm, Christmas baking spices. There’s a lot oak and caramel as well.
Finish: Medium in length. Brown sugar, a hint of rye, and a lot of oak. Conclusion: This pour was courtesy of /u/RoseFromEmbers
after a rye and bourbon tasting the other day. It’s a pleasant dram and definitely warming (which is nice with our current temperatures of around freezing) but nothing spectacular. There’s a little too much that slightly bitter oak in here for me along with a bit of a lack of complexity. Would I buy a bottle? At an average price of $70-75, no.
Final Score: 78.
American Whiskey review #15, Bourbon Whiskey Review #12, Whisky Network Review #153
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection (if feasible).
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.