Scotch Whisky Review #372: The Munro’s Tormore 22 Year (1995)
Bottler: The Glasgow Whisky Company.
Age: 22 Year. Distilled on August 9th, 1995. Bottled on October 30th, 2017.
Cask Type: Hogshead from American Oak.
ABV: 45.5% Cask Strength.
Color: 1.1, Burnished. Natural Color and Non-Chill Filtered.
Nose: It’s boozey but quite fruity. It smells like a mix of orchard fruit ciders, apple and pear cider comes to mind.
Palate: It’s quite malt forward, which is a touch of a surprise given the age. Some fruitier notes come through as well. Apples, pears, and strawberry are what I picked out. With water, not a lot change.
Finish: Short. Malt and fruit with a bit of strawberry flavored sparkling water.
Conclusion: Tormore is a distillery I’ve wanted to try more of considering I enjoyed their original bottling 16 year and /u/FederalAgents raving about them nonstop. Unfortunately, this bottlings was a bit of a disappointment. It isn’t bad, by any means, simply it doesn’t seem to live up to its specs. The entire thing is rather light, very malt driven, and a touch fruity–which are all fine and dandy but I’d expect a little more depth from something of this age. If you poured me this and told me it was an 8-12 year, I’d believe you. If a bottle of this was half the price, I’d probably say it’s great value. Unfortunately, there’s just not a lot going on to warrant a price tag north of $100. Not bad, but it defini tely did not leave a strong impression.
Final Score: 78.
Scotch Whisky Review #372, Speyside Review #135, Whisky Network Review #526
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection (if feasible).
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.