Scotch Whisky Review #357: Singleton of Glendullan 19 Year Diageo 2021 Special Release
Age: 19 Year.
ABV: 54.6%. Cask Strength.
Cask Type: Refill American oak casks, finished in cognac casks.
Cost: Sample courtesy of /u/I_SAID_NO_GOLDFISH.
Color: 0.8, Deep Gold.
Nose: (according to the wife) The nose on this is quite light, you have to try a bit to pick up anything. When you do, you get the distinct smell of honey lemon tea. There’s also a bit of yujacheong (유자청), which is basically marmalade made from yuzu. There’s a light waxy note as well, not candle wax but a bit of beeswax perhaps.
Palate: It’s quite sweet from the get go. Notes of pure sugar water are the first ones out. A bit of Swerve sweetner follows along with malt barley sugars. Citrus marmalade notes come through, both the traditional orange marmalade and yujacheong.
Finish: Medium in length. Juicy Fruit bubblegum is the main note here.
Conclusion: I’ve only tried one other Glendullan before, the standard 15 year, and I was less than impressed with it. This special release from Diageo seems to be a much better prospect. It remains simple, basically notes of sugar and marmalade, but even in that simplicity comes pure deliciousness. The notes are right up my alley and were it not for the asking price, I would be happy to add this to the bar. The biggest disappointment is the sheer lack of the cognac cask finish. If I hadn’t seen that they were supposedly finished in them, I would have never had known as this does not reflect a cognac finish whatsoever.
Final Score: 81.
Scotch Whisky Review #357, Speyside Review #130, Whisky Network Review #507
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection (if feasible).
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.