Scotch Whisky Review #312: Laphroaig 30 Year
Age: 30 Year.
ABV: 43.00% Cask Strength.
Price: Many, many thanks to /u/KissMeElon for sharing this one with me!
Color: 1.4, Tawny.
Nose: There’s a ton of sherry here, not quite a sherry bomb but very much the dominant note. There’s a hint of delicious mustiness along with some sweeter old peat and green apples.
Palate: Like the nose, there’s a decent amount of sherry here along with a bit of mustiness. There’s a slightly medicinal note to this, as in herbal medicines, but it goes along pleasantly with the old peat sweetness. Some savory notes in the form of charcuterie meats comes through as well.
Finish: Medium in length. Dark chocolate and old peat are the main notes.
Conclusion: I’ve not had a lot of Laphroaig so I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect from this well aged version. It’s a delightful whisky from start to finish. The notes of sherry just resonate so well with me, especially with the added layer of complexity that comes from the mustiness, old peat, and medicinal notes. The bit of savory meats and dark chocolate just elevate this up from perhaps being a bit straightforward which is lovely. Many thanks to /u/KissMeElon for sharing this with me as this is quite a tasty one!
Final Score: 87.
Scotch Whisky Review #312, Islay Review #48, Whisky Network Review #454
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection (if feasible).
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.