Christmas Countdown 2020 #12: Arran 18 Year
Age: 18 Year.
Cask Type: “A mix of [Arran’s] most luxurious sherry casks”
Color: 1.8, Old Oak. Natural Color and Non-Chill Filtered.
Nose: (according to the wife) Caramel and maple trees are the main notes here. There’s a little bit of raisin and bits of red pepper as well.
Palate: It’s a sherry bomb alright. The sherry comes out strong in all of it’s beautiful sweet and fruity glory. It does need a drop of water or two to open up a bit but once it does, it’s a flood of layers of fruit. White grapes, figs, plums, maesil, and little bits of nectarine are all present.
Finish: Medium in length. There’s a tad of bit of cream, more of those white grapes, and a little bit of oak spice.
Conclusion: Another day, another great whisky by Arran. I’ve been wanting to try their 18 year old release for a while now and I’m glad I’ve had the chance to. It is a sherry bomb, though on the lighter side than some sherry bombs. It’s the first thing you taste when you take a sip and it leaves a lasting impact. The different orchard fruits in here make for a lot of fun to pick them out as you go. I wish there was some other kind of element in here, a few tasting notes mention chocolate but I couldn’t seem to find it, but it’s still fantastic as it is. Would I buy a bottle? Yes.
Final Score: 87.
Scotch Whisky Review #234, Island Review #35, Whisky Network Review #354
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection (if feasible).
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.