Christmas Countdown 2020 #10: Glenfiddich Age of Discovery 19 Year
Age: 19 Year.
Cask Type: Ex-Bourbon cask
Price: Courtesy of /u/bradbobaggins
Color:0.9, Amontillado Sherry.
This particular review was done blind.
Nose: (according to the wife) There’s a lot of molasses coming out. There’s a bit of menthol as well along with a very funky, mushroom-y note that’s reminiscent of Kweichow Maotai.
Palate: Not a whole lot going on. It’s a tad sweet, though it’s not a sugar sweetness but more of a malt-y/grain-y sweetness. There’s as bit more of the menthol as well.
Finish: Medium in length. There’s some bits of chocolate here and there mixed in with cardamom and menthol.
Guess: Scotch, aged 10-14 years in length, under 45% ABV. Guessing it’s a blend, thinking Chivas.
Reveal: Glenfiddich Age of Discovery 19 Year
Conclusion: I’d been tempted a few times to pick up this bottle to see what it’s like. I’m fairly glad that I didn’t. While it isn’t bad, it’s incredibly bland and boring. The nose is a bit off putting with that super funky, mushroom-y note of Kweichow Maotai that just reminds me of my wife’s boss’ parties. It doesn’t taste of much, just a bit of menthol and neutral sweet grain spirit. The finish is kinda fun with the chocolate, cardamom, and menthol but that’s not enough to redeem this. Would I buy a bottle? No.
Final Score: 72.
Scotch Whisky Review #233, Speyside Review #93, Whisky Network Review #352
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection (if feasible).
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.