Christmas Countdown 2020 #4: Mellow Corn Bottled-in-Bond
Distillery: Heaven Hill
Age: 4 Year.
Color: 1.3, Russet/Muscat.
Nose: Lots of hay and freshly cut grass. There’s a bit of damp moss with a hint of lemongrass here and there as well. But mostly, hay and fresh cut grass.
Palate: The main two notes are of a nice mix of salty, buttery popcorn and a sweet, caramel popcorn. They’re quite nice but they don’t last for quite very long.
Finish: Unfortunately long in length. It’s rather astringent and ethanoly. Not even water can cure that. Yikes.
Conclusion: This is the one, the only, the legendary…Mellow Corn! I had zero expectations for this, despite all of the memes, and I’m glad that I didn’t. It’s perhaps the definition of “solidly meh”. The nose is kinda interesting, with all of the fresh hay and grass smells. It tastes halfway decent for a few brief moments with the two popcorn flavors. But the most lasting note in here is that strong ethanol note at the end. Not so great. But, I will say it does make a decent whiskey and coke.
Final Score: 60.
American Whiskey Review #79, Corn Whiskey Review #2, Whisky Network Review #345
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection (if feasible).
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.