Scotch Whisky Review #161: Ardmore 11 Year Old 2008 (Cask #702430) – /r/Scotch Pick
Image credit: /u/rangda_reviews
Bottler: Morrison & MacKay
Cask Type: ex-Bourbon
Cask Number: #702430
ABV: 57% Cask Strength
Age: 11 Year, Distilled on 19th of June 2008, Bottled on 7th of October 2019.
Color: 0.2, Pale Straw. Natural Color and Non-Chill Filtered
Nose: (according to the wife) The peat is right there in the forefront. It’s slightly smokey and has the almost burnt rubber smell. Then it gets really funky beyond the regular peat notes. There’s something meaty and almost maritime-like, almost as if you were taking an octopus out of the steamer to serve up.
Palate: The peat once again makes itself known. It’s there front and center. Beyond the peat, there is a slight note of salt water and something funky that I couldn’t quite place (perhaps this is the steamed octopus the wife was talking about!). Towards the end, there’s a note of smoked fruit which is rather nice.
Finish: Medium in length. More of the brine, peat, and funk.
Conclusion: If you love peat, I think you will really enjoy this. This has peat in spades. It’s not super smokey either, which I do appreciate as sometimes smokey peat can just overtake everything. There’s quite an interesting combination here with something salty, meaty, funky, and peaty which make this a lot of fun. Fantastic job by /u/t8ke and crew again!
Final Score: 77.
Scotch Whisky Review #161, Highland Review #37, Whisky Network Review #217
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection (if feasible).
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.