American Whiskey Review #8: Elijah Craig Small Batch
Distillery: Heaven Hill
Color: 1.5, Auburn/Polished Mahogany. Natural color.
Nose: Solvent, trace bit of plastic, some dark cherries, and a bit of cinnamon. Not that great.
Palate: Thin mouth feel. You get a lot of the corn mash along with hints of cherry, caramel, and cinnamon.
Finish: The finish is on the short side. It’s a bit dry with a bit of oak and slightly on the hot side of things.
Conclusion: A good friend of mine really likes Elijah Craig so I figured I’d give this a try. It’s not bad at all. I’m not a fan of the nose, it really does smell like solvent, but the rest of it is decent. It’s not crazy complicated or anything, just what you expect a textbook bourbon to taste like. For $22, it’s hard to complain a whole lot about it as it is good value for money. Would I buy another bottle? Eh, maybe.
Final Score: 74.
American Whiskey review #8, Bourbon Whiskey Review #7, Whisky Network Review #118
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection (if feasible).
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.