Scotch Review #69: Blackadder Peat Reek Embers
Distillery: Undisclosed, rumored to be Ardbeg
Cask Ref: EMB7, Bottled May of 2018
Cask Type: Sherry Cask
Price: $17.25 / dram during Happy Hour
Color: 0.9, Amontillado Sherry. Natural Color and Non-Chill Filtered.
Nose: There’s a hint of sherry and a bit of ethanol but there isn’t really a whole lot going on in this.
Palate: Delicious, fire-y peat (not really smoky, more of the charred flavor you get from grilling) along with a bit of sherry. There’s a bit of sea salt and some toasted nuts. Overall, it is pretty balanced in flavors—not too savory, not too sweet.
Finish: Shortish in length and a bit dry. There’s loads of oak in here.
Conclusion: Pretty straight forward dram. It’s got a nice savory charred flavor to it along with a hint of sweetness from the sherry finish. I’m not particularly impressed by the nose or the finish but the body of this is pretty solid. Would I buy a bottle? Maybe.
Final Score: 80.
Scotch whisky review #69, Island review #12, Whisky Network Review #92
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection (if feasible).
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.