American Whiskey Review #3: Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Select
Distillery: Jack Daniel’s
Age: NAS, Barrel #18-3276, Bottled 06.08.2018
Price: $18 for a 375 mL bottle
Color: 1.3, Russet/Muscat. Natural Color, but it is Chill-Filtered.
Nose: It’s sweet-ish with some caramel and toffee up front. There are some spices in the form of cloves lingering in behind the sweetness. You can smell the alcohol though, which isn’t really pleasant.
Palate: This whiskey starts off with a nice bit of corn mash followed by a dripping wet banana nut muffin. A bit of brown sugar follows the banana along with a big serving cinnamon. Overall, it’s not super sweet but just enough to make it an easy drinker.
Finish: The is short, not a whole lot going on. There’s a bit of heat but not much else.
Conclusion: I haven’t had anything by Jack Daniel’s outside of a few Jack & Diet’s since college. A roommate of mine loved the Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey and so we always had some around. I didn’t have high expectations for this at all and I was surprised of how decent it is. The nose is OK, though they could’ve done a little more to take the edge off of it. The finish might as well not exist. The palate, however, is delicious. The dripping wet banana nut muffin is so good that I want more and more of it. The cinnamon and brown sugar compliment the flavor a lot as well. Overall, not bad. Would I buy a bottle? I almost always see this north of $50 and for me, It’s hard pass at that price. If it were priced closer to $30-35, I’d probably keep a bottle around.
Final Score: 75
American whiskey review #3, Bourbon review #2, Whisky Network Review #77
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection.
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.