World Whisky Review #1: Kavalan Whisky Classic
Age: NAS, Distilled date stamp of 2015.10.17
Nose (according to the wife): Extremely prickly, dries up your nose pretty well. Maple syrup (she said it made her want pancakes) and cooked fruit are the main notes. There is a pleasant trace of tobacco as well.
Palate: Flavor profile follows along nicely with the nose. There is a lot of sweetness that reminds me of pancake/maple syrup mixed in with some minor fruity notes. Tobacco is on the tail end but is surprisingly pleasant.
Finish: The finish is very short, as expected from something very young. While the finish is there, it is very strong, stronger than you would expect of 46% ABV and sweet. There is a bit of fresh wood mixed in there.
Conclusion: As someone who enjoys sherried drams more than anything else, I found this one quite enjoyable to drink. The flavor profile isn’t extremely complex but it isn’t something I would call boring. As Kavalan’s most basic offering, this does peak my interest into what else they can offer.
Final Score: 77
World whisky review #1, Taiwanese whisky review #1, Whisky Network Review #6
- 96-100: The perfect dram, nectar of the gods.
- 90-95: Near perfect, there is something truly special about this whisky.
- 85-89: Amazing, will always try to keep a bottle of this in my collection.
- 80-84: Very Good, maybe only one minor nitpick about the whisky keeping it here.
- 75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink.
- 70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.
- 60-69: Meh, still drinkable.
- Below 59: If you have a bottle of this, start cooking with it instead.